Tuesday 13 December 2011

WHAT WE NEED VERSUS WHAT WE WANT.

As the work progresses on Number 3, I am starting to seriously think about the little things I want to take.  Not things like clothes or anything, that is going to be yet another challenge, and I am not really ready to tackle that one yet, but things like cutlery, crockery and kitchen appliances.  As you may have noticed, Number 3 doesn't have a stove.  I rarely use an oven at home, I have a convection microwave, and I'll have one of those in the bus.  I also plan on using my little camping cooker, and I have an induction hot plate.  At home I use the slow cooker and rice cooker a lot, so thought I would take them along too.  All of a sudden, the cupboards in the bus are full and I haven't even put plates, cups and glasses in there.  I have been told that melamine plates are better because they are light and don't break, and I can understand that, but, I really like using china plates.  How much extra weight can 2 plates add really.  But do I get 2 plates, or 4, what if we have a few people over for tea, they will need a plate unless I ask them to bring their own. Yes, the joys of having to cut back on things we take for granted has really hit me.  I had a Christmas get together the other night, and we sat around and had a few drinks, and I realised  I got rid of most of my glasses when we moved into this house, so I only have my everyday water glasses and 4 wine glasses, which don't even match, so I'm ok there, I have 2 white wine(un  matching) glasses and 2 red wine glasses, and I do like to use them, on the odd occasion I drink wine that is.  So I guess I'm right there, but I have struck a problem with my cutlery.  I bought a Stanley Rogers Cutlery set really cheap some years ago, and I love it.  However, there are more pieces to it than we will ever need.  It's an 8 place setting, and it has 2 knives, 2 forks 2 spoons and a teaspoon for each setting.  Really, what is that all about.  I just open the drawer and grab one. Soup spoon dessert spoon who cares really as long as it does the job it's meant to do and that is take the food from my plate to my mouth.  Mind you, I think some of them have holes in them, because they seem to manage to leak on our clothes.  But on the whole, they work fine.  Problem I am facing with this cutlery set is, I don't want to split it up, but there is far more there than 2 people really need.  See, it's the silly little things I worry about.  I managed to go through most of the things I had filling 2 bookshelves to overflowing capacity and sell or throw out nearly everything in them, but cant decide what I am going to do with extra cutlery.

I have the linen under control.  2 sets of sheets and 2 doona covers.  That was easy.  I have about half a dozen different sets of each at home, but I am not taking any of them.  Going from a king size to queen size bed solved that problem for me.  I doubt I would have been able to decide which ones to take, so I just got new ones and that was that.  Towels are causing a bit more of a problem.  How many towels will we actually need.  We always use our towels a few times before washing them.  I just don't have time to wash towels every day, and I don't like wet washing in the washing basket, so we aren't going to have a problem using the same towel for a few days, it's how many will I need.  I seem to use the same 6 here all the time.  Shower towels, and one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen.  I wash two and replace them with 2 from the cupboard, when I get the first 2 off the line, I was the other 2.  So will six towels be enough.  Are we likely to get stuck somewhere where it is raining for a week and I wont be able to get anything dry.  Will there be a dryer somewhere I can use.  If anyone can offer a suggestion, please do.  I am more than willing to listen.

Since I started writing this, I have been thinking about my clothes.  I have taken note of what I wear every day, and have come to the conclusion that, even though I have enough clothes to clothe a small country, I really only wear the same few things.  I tend to either wear jeans, shorts or track pants and t shirts and a jacket if it's cold.  Well how hard can it be to get rid of the rest of my clothes.  Well the conversation with myself went something like this.  "I might take that, what if we go anywhere where I need to dress up."  "Seriously girl, when was the last time you dressed up"  "Well there was the wedding a few weeks ago" "Ok I'll pay that, but before that"  "Well there was the wedding last year"  "and before that"  "um not sure, but I'm sure something will come to me"  Yes folks, I must be going mad, I do not only talk to myself, I answer myself too.  Looks like perhaps the only thing I will be wearing soon will be a lovely white jacket with very long sleeves.  Ok so to cut a very long conversation with myself short, I have decided to take jeans, shorts tops, a couple of track pants, and my 2 good skirt suits.  That way, I will have something to wear at home and at work and if I happen to get a job where I need to wear a skirt or a dress, well, I'm sure there are op shops or even shops nearby where I could buy one or two.  Too easy, well now anyway.  It did take about a week or arguing with myself before I narrowed it down to just that.  Terry on the other hand is easy.  He wears shorts and polo shirts every day, and has a good pair of long black pants and 2 good shirts.  He also owns a track suit and a couple of pairs of jeans and flannelette shirts for when it gets cold.  Somehow, I think that seeing how the jeans and flannelette shirts don't see the light of day that often here in Tasmania, they are not going to get a lot of use on the mainland either, so perhaps he can cut down to just 2 pairs of jeans.

 I remember someone once telling me that when we empty the bus to get it weighed, to only put back 1/8th of what we took out.  Seriously, that is going to hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment